Wednesday, August 20, 2008

olympics

this week has been one of getting the apartment set up. It is a bit harder here where places don't deliver like they do in the US and there are no places to rent trucks or moving companies. But my roomie, elle, has done a great job of getting it all set up. I have my room all together- even hung a few things up today.
It is hot here, so pretty much nothing happens in the afternoons. I now understand why there is such a thing as a "siesta" because the last few days it has been too hot to do anything in the afternoon but lay in front of the fan and try not to move!
I am getting back into Arabic- I have been tutoring all week and then start with my "group" on Sun.
I am trying to stay focused, use my Arabic and enjoy life here as much as possible. It is weird knowing that I will be done in a few months and then will be moving on. It makes the time here a little sweeter in some ways.
It is funny to see what they show in the Olympics here. We have seen lots and lots of soccer, some basketball, more Equestrian stuff that I knew existed, all of the rifling and archery and occasionally we will wee a glance of the diving, swimming or a review of the gymnastics for the day. It has been funny to see how we value sports so differently! who knew that watching the Olympics would be so cultural!

No comments: