Friday, August 22, 2008

the roof

there are moments when you just relax and know that you are at home. Yesterday, this happened as I sat up on our roof. The roofs here are not pitched but flat. Ours has a wall about waist high that goes all around it. It is (obviously) the size of our apartment and we have access to the whole thing. We put a table and some chairs up there and last night after a blistering hot day I went up to get some relief from the heat. The sun was down and the heat was going away by the minute. A cool breeze picked up and the city was all lit up. There is a huge mosque that is in plain view from the roof and it was in its weird way beautiful sitting there above the city. The Intercontinental Hotel is about 1 block away and they had live music on their roof- so I was able to listen for free! It was fun to look out and see this really expensive hotel out to the left and me on my roof enjoying the night for free!
I took a strand of Christmas lights and ran it to the roof so that I would have some light and then got some books- no arabic ones, just books- and read for a bit in the cool night air. I am so glad that Amman gets cooler at night and that I have a roof to enjoy it!
As I was getting to go in, someone on the mountain facing us decided to shoot off some fireworks. I got to enjoy the 5 min. display and laugh at how great it was that I love fireworks so much! This is the place to live if you love fireworks- they go off almost every night in the summer.
So, after a hot day of tutoring and walking it was SO nice to be able to escape to the roof!

No comments: