Thursday, April 17, 2008

what's next?

As my time here begins to wind down and I am trying to decide what will come next, I have had many opportunities come across my path (and many more that I have hunted down) but in the last few weeks one has come by that I can't seem to shake!
I knew that when I came to Jordan that I was coming here to learn Arabic- not exactly to live forever. I also knew that I was learning Arabic so that I could work with Refugees or in Reconciliation- or both. I wasn't sure how this was going to work or where this might be...but I knew that it was something that I couldn't shake and it would work out somehow.
About a month ago, I inquired about a program that I found out about while studying in Dallas. It was my last semester and I was looking for a Prof. to read my Senior Paper. I thought that I would use the "easiest" but at the last minute, I decided to go with the one that I thought would help me understand my topic. I landed on Dr. Pyne and it was a great choice! He was involved in reading a dissertation on peace and forgiveness. We chatted a lot about peace, forgiveness and ways to make it a reality in the lives of people that have endured atrocities. Dr. Pyne left DTS to be involved in an organization that was doing everything that we had been talking about all semester. He joined "ALARM" (African Leadership and Reconciliation Ministries) which is led by C. Musekura. Born in Rwanda, Celestin understands the need for forgiveness in the midst of atrocities. They are working in many African countries, including Sudan.
Last month, I inquired to see if they have any internship/training opportunities in Sudan. To my surprise, Dr. Pyne replied and asked for more information. I sent it and then the next thing I knew he was asking if I would move to Khartoum! I then got another email from Celestin and he asked more questions. After I answered them, he asked me to start praying about moving to Khartoum for a while and be trained in their reconciliation methods.
I am thrilled at this opportunity. It is something that I have been interested in for a long time but was not sure how I was going to be able to do it. Now, there is the opportunity for me to live in an Arabic country and learn how to be involved in reconciliation in the midst of a war torn country. I know that although this seems like a great opportunity, it is going to be very hard. Sudan is not exactly a fun place to live (it is extremely hot, it has been war-torn for many years and now the genocide continues in the south. The people that I will be teaching will not think that forgiveness means say "I am sorry" but rather it means forgive the people that chopped up your sons in front of your eyes! And on top of all of this, there aren't many creature comforts - no fast food, no coffee shops, etc.)
I am not sure when or how this will take place, but I am certainly praying that as I finish up my Arabic in the next year that I will have the details all worked out!
oh- if you want to read more- check out http://alarm-inc.org/

No comments: