Friday, April 18, 2008

lunch

I started teaching English a few weeks ago at an English center down in the Balad. I have a class of mostly men and only one girl. Last week, Lahali (that is, the girl in my class) asked if I wanted to come to her house. Of course, I said yes and we made plans for me to go on Friday. I woke up with major allergy issues this morning and really didn't want to go- but she called and confirmed that I was coming so I knew there was no chance that she was going to forget the plans!
So, I took off to meet her for an afternoon of food, Arabic and fun! I got to her house (after being invited to her wedding- which hopefully will happen before I leave for the States) and was met by her mom and sisters. It was great to be able to fall into conversation immediately. This was the first time that I was in an Arab home when I felt like I could actually communicate, tell stories and laugh along with them. It was fantastic. Then we went out to the table to enjoy our lunch under there grape vines. They showed me the coming grapes (so small I could barely see them) and then the food started coming, and coming an coming. They made enough food to feed an army. A HUGE plate of taboulieh, grape leaves and then "Oozie" (it is this rice, carrots, peas and browned bits of lamb base with baked chicken on the top- really YUMMY!). They made me 4 huge plates of food and the proceeded to tell me "eat!" If you have never been to an Arabic household you have never experienced the commands of "eat" over and over and over. Eating a lot is a sign that the food is good, eating is also a sign that you are accepting the hospitality. They serve a ton of food because they want you to be able to have your fill. If you are pecking at the food it is like saying that you are worried about their supplies and want to make sure you leave enough for everyone else. This is not a good thing!
So, I sat there with my mouth full and listened to them tell me "eat!" or "you haven't eaten anything!" or my personal favorite, looking at my over half eaten chicken and saying, "you didn't have ANY chicken!" I enjoyed a fantabulous meal and then we moved into the lounge to continue the chatting and have tea (or what I would describe as sugar with some tea to make it float!) They wanted to know about my family so I got out the family picture and showed off! It made me really miss being at home (just a few more weeks!)! They asked all bout them (what they do, how old are they, where they lived) and I was able to chat about the family that has lived in this part of the world, Dad's work and everything else that they asked about!
It was a great day! I was so encouraged that my Arabic had come this far in such a short time! (Not that I am fluent or anything like it- but I am able to chat and it feels good!) I was also happy to be in another Arabic household, this time as a member of the events not an observer of them. It is kind of funny, because one of the reasons that I was worried about going was that I wasn't sure I had enough energy to sit and try to understand them....but that wasn't an issue at all as I was involved in all the conversations! Fun times!

1 comment:

Gloria Furman said...

Katie, that is so awesome! It sounds like your Arabic is really coming along. We hope to be able to laugh with you in Arabic pretty soon. :)