Monday, April 21, 2008

Pride comes before a REALLY bad Arabic Lesson

It seems that everyone knows the proverb "Pride comes before the fall" but the lesser known "Pride comes before the REALLY bad Arabic lesson" is getting more traction these days in my life. As some of you know, I am tutoring my Arabic studies now and I am doing most of them with Affreak (He is Canadian but grew up in Africa - hence the name- A for the canadians that are always saying it -studying Arabic now, ay? - and the Arabic word for Africa is Afreek). He is a great tutoring partner and I am having fun studying with him. Last week, he was going to be out of town and I was going camping so we had to re-arrange our tutoring and I did most of it just me. He had already done the lessons (so that he wouldn't fall behind) so the pace was set and I just had to keep up. Both lessons I finished "faster" and I started thinking I was something. Then my tutor told me that she only knows 3 people currently studying Arabic that are better than me (and Affreak of course) and that includes those who have been studying for 4 semesters! So then I really thought I was something! I went through the whole weekend thinking that I was doing great in Arabic.....only to walk into today's lesson and forget EVERYTHING!!! No really, when your tutor asks you if you feel ok, if you did your homework and then exclaims- Never, you have Never done this poorly! You know that it isn't a good lesson.
I was quickly reminded that I am not saved by how well I speak Arabic ad went on through the day....I just wonder why it takes me falling to remember that I am saved by grace!
Well, today I am just glad that I was reminded so quickly- even that is grace! And since I know I am going to fall, I am glad that I get to fall on Grace! Now, to learn to stand in it.......

No comments: