Thursday, February 14, 2008

be thankful for your car

there is this phenomena here in Amman- when it rains, there are no taxis and traffic gives a new definition to "horrible."
Today I left tutoring at 2 in the afternoon. After standing for 20 min. in the pouring rain waiting for a taxi, I decided to walk to the next "circle" and try my luck there. After a 15 min. walk in the pouring rain, I arrived at 3rd circle and joined the 20 or so people waiting there. After another 30 min. waiting, I walked in the rain - getting soaked by every passing car as the puddles exploded on to me- Now, I have been waiting for over an hour- and still no taxis. I begin to walk to the next circle, but by this time my plan to "go to tutoring and come straight home" has been severely derailed. I am not wearing the appropriate clothes to walk in and I am soaked!!! My rain jacket has shed all the water on to my jeans, my smart wool pants (which have been worth their weight in gold) are beginning to take in the water, and my hair that peeked out of my hood is dripping wet. My chin feels like it has turned into a popsicle and I am begging God to send a taxi.
A taxi pulls over. It already has one man in it, but the driver is nice and tells me that I can hop in too. I sit down, even my gloves leave water on the car seat. I quickly pull out a couple of dinars so that they can dry before I have to hand them to the driver. I thank both the driver and the man profusely. I tell them my saga and they say "it is raining!" like that explains everything!
Then, we drop the man off and sit for another hour in traffic. the cars were barely moving- and when it was your turn to go, there were cars stuck in the circle or intersection so that it was impossible to go.
After a 2 hour adventure/miserable journey I arrived home. (note: it took me 20 min total - including waiting for the taxi!- to get to tutoring, 2 hours to get back) I immediately took off my shoes, swimming with water- my jacket, my fleece and other 2 t-shirts soaked- my jeans and long underwear soaked. I might as well have gone swimming for all the water that I brought home with me!
Well- at least it is raining here. Thank God for His grace on the just and the unjust..and the really wet!

No comments: