Friday, February 08, 2008

almost shot

I have never been that close to a random act of violence as I was today. It was 12:20 in the afternoon. I am walking home from tutoring. I come up my street crowed with people and cars. There are shouts in the distance that I can barely hear over the sound of my ipod. I smile because I know that somewhere a highschooler made good marks on the National Test and is celebrating his future with family and friends.
Then, I hear shouts closer. I turn and see a group of women crowded into the "sun room" shouting. I see a manboy turning the corner. And then...he pulls out a pistol and begins to fire it into the air!
I was directly across the street from him and I was really worried where the bullets were going to come down. He, on the other hand, just kept walking and gloried in his success.
I regained my composure and began to laugh....I mean, people here die in celebration shootings every year...but man, what a crazy thing to think about-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok, what a way to get my attention! I almost swallowed my tongue, had a kaniption fit and a heart attack all in one millisecond! Glad you are ok, be checking your mailbox for the steel helmet I'll be sending soon, Love mom