Sunday, December 09, 2007

the grand grocery store

so, since I moved in to my place here in the "west end" of Amman, I have heard about the "grand." It had been said that you could get Ritz crackers there- and if you need molasses, go to the grand. Looking for french's onions or cream of mushroom soup- go to the grand. I was told it was "just like an American grocery store." So, with Christmas coming up and me needing to make Molasses cookies and of course some Tea cakes, I needed some "american" things- like self rising flour :)
So, I grabbed my ipod and took off exploring. I knew where it was - sort of. I knew that I needed to cross the street and then it was a little ways down on the right or left and I might have to turn or I could just go straight- but it is over there somewhere.
I enjoyed the walk with some "this american life" pumping through the earphones...and then I saw it. "THE GRAND" - ok, it was no american grocery store...but I did find Molasses (made from grapes) and self rising flour, and gobstoppers, and Betty Crocker Oatmeal and Chocolate chip cookie mix in a bag, and ream of mushroom soup- and they had Cherry coke! And star-bucks peppermint cold frappacinos (I know, star-bucks? But, there is something about peppermint and chocolate that makes it Christmas!) and then they had GRAPE JELLY and peanut butter Nature Valley granola bars!!!
It was great!!! I walked through every aisle - like 5 times :)
it was a great adventure, but I am glad that I didn't take my wallet but just shoved some money into my pockets- because although they had all of those things, they weren't cheap. A box of ritz- 8 bucks :)
It was fun finding it, shopping and seeing things I had forgotten about (like twisted tornado Bubalicious) and it was a great adventure! Who knew that going grocery shopping could be so much fun!

No comments: