Wednesday, December 05, 2007

fantastic day

This has been a fantastic day. After a day of serious allergies yesterday and a not so fun morning of class, I decided to "play" a little. I needed something to make it feel like Christmas- so I got one of the many plants I am "sitting" and dusted it off and strung it with lights. It looked awful- so, I had to go to the embassy and get my passport (I dropped it off so I could get new pages in it- and they put the "new" new pages in it - if you haven't seen the new passports, you won't understand what I am talking about. Each page has a picture of "american life" - it is so american it should sing the National Anthem!) Anyway, after picking up my crazy mixed up passport, I took off to Carefour. There I was able to see $90 pathetic looking Christmas trees, $18 ornaments, and get this- $15 string of Christmas lights! And decided to pass on those. I did pick up some crazy Santa hats tho'- they were only a dollar.
I grabbed my bags and headed out the door. It was a lovely day today- probably almost 70 degrees and lots of sunshine. So, I was walking out the door when I spotted the new "scent" from Body Works- blue spruce! So, i grabbed some scented oil so that my house would at least smell like Christmas! I started walking down the street hoping to spot a place to snag a tree. There are NO tree stands here, but I though that maybe a nursery would have something better than the pathetic thing I had.
I found this nursery, these guys who worked there were really happy that I spoke Arabic- so they gave me a tree for $7.50 and it comes with a stand! (that is, it is about 2 feet high and is planted in a vegetable oil tin box. It is perfect!
So, I have officially bought my first Christmas tree- ever. I will decorate it and then post some pictures!
I am settling in to an almost cold house to do a couple hours of homework- but it has been a fantastic day!

2 comments:

Gilbert said...

cool story, is the tree better than then one you and I cut down in our neighborhood in Hampton? Can't ever think of xmas and not think of that year. Miss you tons and we are on this advent journey with you.
the gilberts in Boise
ps we are getting some refugees from the middle east next year in Boise! We will need a translator!

Travis said...

Ryn, experience says dig down a couple of inches to be sure that it is planted in soil all the way down. We got one in Beirut that was actually planted in clay (to make its journey safer) and had literal "top soil" for looks! It died even though we watered it and we wound up with a Charlie Brown tree :)