Wednesday, November 07, 2007

His "departure"

So, I have been reading in the book of Luke- and last night's chapter was on the Transfiguration. It just hit me that Moses and Elijah had both been on a mountain before. They had both asked to see God - one in the midst of receiving God's laws, the other at the end of a long journey and bout of depression. Both of them "saw" God- his "backside" or His "still, small voice" - but now, they were face to face with God- Talking with Jesus on the mountain.
And what had they come all this way to chat about- Jesus' departure. They were talking about His death and resurrection. Were they chatting about the pain that He would experience? Were they talking about the purpose of His suffering? Were they chatting about how He fulfilled the law of Moses and was a "greater" prophet than Elijah? Were they talking about death - something that Elijah never experienced - what were they talking about? I don't know, but I would have loved to have been there.
I do know that they were chatting about Jesus and how He would "depart"- His suffering, His death, His resurrection and His ascension- pretty amazing stuff when you think about it...Elijah, Moses and Jesus having a chat about the Gospel! I would agree with Peter- let's build a tabernacle, a place to remember this!
I just thought, this story- the one that Jesus. Moses and Elijah were chatting about - this story is mine now........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the blog and I love those books "the voice". Thanks again for living it and sharing with us.
WE love you and miss you