Wednesday, November 21, 2007

frustration

the last few days have been some of massive frustration with the language learning. Not because it is hard- yes, learning Arabic is HARD, but it seems that the program I am in has lost its way with our class and is now spinning out of control! I have been frustrated with the way they are teaching, the pace (we finally started the new book, after a month of review- but now we are told that we must go slowly. Which means that we will be on the first few chapters for the month....but I have to memorize the 100 vocab. words in 3 days!!!!! Yes, does that sound weird to you????) and then, the way they are teaching classical Arabic is driving me mad!!!! It seems that they think more information is better and have decided to throw things at us and see if we can make it without cussing! so today we "took" the 76 ways of making nouns from verbs. Yes, that was after the 10 forms of verbs, the past, present and command tenses, and then the 10 ways to make infinitives and gerunds!!!! And then in another book (also, classical) we are going so slowly that we just took the "definite article" today!!!! yes, now I can read "the book" - well, duh!!!! So, to say the least, right now I am frustrated!!!
I have spent 5 hours today doing homework and the same yesterday. But the whole week before I don't think I had 5 hours of homework to do!!! But, I am sure it will go back to "nothing" and I will make do......
on a brighter note. I have started a different program in the afternoons, and I love it. I am learning with what feels like "no effort" - so that is great!!!
so, I am getting a great lesson in "practicing" that the world doesn't revolve around me= that I am not the center of the Arabic learning universe and that other people might learn in different ways ...and believe it or not those ways might actually be valid!!!
so, I am trying to learn to see others as existing...and then hopefully as more important than myself- but it is hard to do when I am frustrated!!!!
So, I beg for mercy and grace - and confess that it is on that I fall.........

No comments: