Tuesday, October 09, 2007

surely goodness, mercy and madness shall follow me

all the days of my life- :)
Today has been one of those days. It started with no taxis this morning, so I was late to school. Then, I couldn't say anything right, not even when I was repeating after the teacher! I went to the BC after school and I was saying everything wrong and thinking "ENGLISH- please, say something I understand!!!!" (which is unusual because yesterday I was there and chatted with everyone - in Arabic- for 2 hours.
After that, I came home, made some mac and cheese, and then went off to tutor my friends. I got there at 3, and forgot that they have play practice until 4. So, I was an hour early - no big deal! I have an Ipod. So, I sat down on the steps and listened to "this american life." But then 4:15 rolls around and the kids come tell me that play practice won't end until 5. I had made plans for 4:30 and had already changed them....so I had to leave at 5:00 exactly. So, no tutoring.
I then go to meet my friends (Dutch boy and FTP) so we can go to iftar (the meal that breaks the Ramadan fast every night). We get in the taxi and plans change again. Dutch boy's phone is dead- so we can't call the guy we are going to meet. We are in a taxi who of course has to stop and get gas. Then, the taxi won't start. So, the taxi driver asks for a push (there are 4 people in the car and 2 little asian men are trying to push it up a hill) So, FTP and I get out and then they ask us to help push. we get out and of course, everyone gets out their cell phones and starts snapping pictures!!! the car starts, we get back in) The taxi driver says that it will cost 7.50 us to get to the place....but we know it should only cost about 5 dollars- so the fighting ensues. We tell him no, tell him we will get out, tell him that we don't have it- he won't listen....fighting, fighting, etc. etc. etc.
Then we finally get there, get out of the taxi, pay the guy- he drives away- fussing of course- and we call out friend....he's not even there yet!!!!
So,we go in and he comes - and we have a fantastic night with 2 guys, their mom and a bunch of americans eating some fantastic food and chatting, laughing and just generally having a blast-
so, yes- goodness, mercy and madness follow me everyday :)

No comments: