Tuesday, September 04, 2007

grace

You gotta love it! Grace, it comes as a surprise every time- you think I would get it through my thick skull....but no! So, last night I was ANGRY at the taxi driver- partly because he was a bad man, partly because he was trying to cheat me, partly because the last time I was in a dark street with a bad Arab man I was "molested," partly because I was exhausted, and mostly because I am a sinner and didn't want to love him. So, I got up this morning still mad at Arab men and all men in general- as I walked to the place to catch a bus, I prayed that God would help me love even the Arab men. I got to the "circle" and started asking this man about the bus schedule (remember, this is all in Arabic- so it goes something like this: sir, is this the bus to the 3rd circle? No, it is not. another bus- sir, is this the bus to the 3rd circle? No, it is not.) After a few of these annoying questions, he asks me where I am going. I tell him that I need to go to school at 1st circle. He tells me that he works at 1st circle and we can share a taxi. So, I hop in and he sits in the front - to first circle we go! I am feeling good (because this means that I don't have to deal with a bus load of Arab men!) When we get to 1st circle, I go to pay. The man will not take my money- he says it is his gift to welcome me to Jordan. Knowing a bit about the culture, I know that he has to say this, so I offer again. And then as we walk down the street, I offer again. Still, he will not take my money. He wishes me a good day and off I go to class.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! All in 12 hours I was screamed at and given a gift- even though my attitude toward them hadn't really changed. GRACE! And then this afternoon I was reading in Matthew- the geneolgy. And I was reminded again of the grace given to Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba and Tamar- all "undeserving" women who were given grace. These women made the geneology of Christ, not because of their works- but because of grace.
So, after class I came home, piddled a bit and then met some friends to study. We studied for a while and then played cards and laughed - a ton.
I have officially named the house- it is "izzree9a ilgaaz" (pronounced: iz- ree- ah il- gaz) it means "gas planet" (because in class when I get lost and don't understand what is going on I say "I am on planet 24," so my classmates thought my house name should reflect this!) We named Freakishly Tall Filipino's house (the asteroid) and Cali and Northy's house as well (launch pad) So, I have influenced all of them to join the madness! There were TONS of laughs as we came up with these names....lots of fun!!!
Well, I still have lots of homework to do...more laughs I am sure tomorrow!

No comments: