Thursday, September 13, 2007

first test done, many more to go

so, I woke up on time, planning to spend a few minutes at school to study. I got up, got ready and took off down the street to catch a taxi. It normally takes about 5-10 minutes to catch an empty one. But today it took 30!!!!! So, I was almost late for school. No time to study at all!
So, I decided to look at the test as a measure of how much I know from class, not from my cramming session the night before. I went into the test (the man who gives the oral tests is known for being hard to understand) so, I went in trying to listen and take my time to respond.
I did the test, no sweat actually- and was kind of frustrated that they didn't ask anything really hard!
But that is the DTS geek coming out! So, I was just thrilled with the gift of encouragement today!
Then, we go back to class and start verbs. It was like the teachers were saying- welcome to the big leagues boys and girls! So, it will be another long night of studies.
After class, I took off to the Al Hussein society for physically handicapped children and decided that I will start volunteering there after Ramadan. I am excited about this chance to blend Arabic learning and volunteering! It should be a great way to meet some people and help all at the same time!
I have looked into some other places to volunteer as well- but everything seems to take a while here, so we will see.
Ramadan starts tomorrow- YICK! It will be hard because I don't really know anyone yet and Ramadan is an awful time for meeting people because they spend all their time sleeping or having family over. But we will see!
Now I am headed for a study/hang out session at the nearest Starbucks (don't worry, I won't actually give them money :) I might get water- but that is it!

No comments: