Thursday, August 16, 2007

Screeching Halt

There is a street about 1 block from "my house" (that is, the house of my friend that she is letting me stay in for a few days) - the street is very hilly, and one hill is very steep. (it is like the hill that goes down to the waterside at the Bremerton ferry- if you don't know what that is, it is steep- not something you would want to rollerblade!) People crest the hill and then start to speed down it- but at the bottom of the hill is a traffic light. I can tell when it goes to red, because the tires begin to squeal. All night long you hear the people try to stop. The road is slick with rubber and oil and traffic (because it doesn't rain in the summer and the streets just get layered with grease) Stopping can be quite the ordeal.
I feel like those cars today. I get here and immediately I start thinking about "doing" something. When is school going to start, who am I going to meet, what vocab can I learn, what can I do. Last night, I felt my heart come to a screeching halt- the tires wailing. I am not here to "do" I am here to "be." It is because the presence of God lives in me, that He (the Holy Spirit) has decided to promise me that He will indwell me until Christ returns, because in Christ, grace and truth have appeared, because I am nothing without grace- because of this, I just live. I don't have to "do" anything- I just do my best to live in the Spirit and watch what happens....
so, although I have "stopped" I am enjoying the ride- the excitement of things to come, things here, and even the tires squealing to remind me to rest in Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jamie and I are sitting here right now and talking about how much we miss you! Love you lots! Toni and Jamie