Monday, August 20, 2007

Life

It seems that we are all gearing up for "life" here- that is, a "normal" schedule, seeing people in our neighborhood, seeing friends occasionally not all day every day.
Today, after al "long lie" as the Brits say (I slept in!) We got up and ran off to a stationary store (because it closes for lunch) and then made our way down the busy street to the Lebnani Snack- a place to get Middle Eastern food. I had the most delicious lemonade with mint- it makes me smile just to think about it! And then some shish tawouk (a chicken dish). It was great. Then, we came home and hung out. I talked to mom and dad finally (my fault, not their's) and then we took off to the neighbor's house.
We walk in and this little, old Iraqi women gets a huge smile on her face because she sees my friend. They invite us in. Immediately they begin to serve us- first juice, then apples, then figs, then cucumbers. I am sure if we hadn't left they would of served us food all night. They insisted that we eat and drink. It was fun to be back in a local house, with arabic all around- and I made out about 20% of what was going on. :)
Then we went and got a bite to eat and were going to see a movie- but the schedule was bad, so we came home and watched one at the house.
It has been a good day with just the right amount of "stuff" so that I wasn't bored, and yet I wasn't too busy either.
I have been asked a lot if I like this place- and you know, I really do. I really like being here. I have remembered why I have come- to be able to sit and hear the stories of these people and to be able to share my story too- and I know I have to speak Arabic to do that....
So, yes, I like it here-

No comments: