Wednesday, May 07, 2008

finishing up

I am officially done with 3rd semester!!!!! YEAH!!!!! I have worked hard- really hard- on my Arabic and it is nice to finally feel some accomplishment. Not that finishing a book makes you speak Arabic by any means, but there is some sense of progress to being out of books and into conversational Arabic only. We also finished our written Arabic book (which some people don't finish, even in 4th semester) and we are on to the next book. It is a lot more vocabulary (something that I am pretty sure I have hit saturation point with - I don't think that any vocab will even seep into the cracks of this full brain right now!)
but along with finishing up this year of really hard study, there is a time of reflection and evaluation. And because I am studying language, the only way to evaluate is to compare. And this is really awful! Because it means that I can pick who I want to compare myself with and always end up on top. It seems that I use comparison as my favorite past time to make me better than everyone else - yick!!!
So, I am trying to compare myself to native speakers so that I will see the need for more study and at the same time rejoice in my progress without getting boastful- oh, the trials of living in the curse!

1 comment:

AJ said...

if you ever need a confidence boost, just call me, roomie, and start speaking arabic. i am a great person to compare yourself to, especially when you're having really bad language days. my language eval. was also eight minutes long, but i have a feeling it was for opposite reasons than yours!