Sunday, April 27, 2008

Easter

I woke up at the call to prayer this morning and walked over to my church to catch a bus to Mt. Nebo for an Easter sunrise service. As we were making our way up to the mountain, I sleepily looked out the window. It was beautiful in the pre-sun light. The clouds rolled in and I saw lighting in the distance. A smile burst on to my face at the sight. We don't normally get thunderstorms around here- and we haven't had much rain....and it is supposed to rain in April. But all of this changed this Easter and it rained just long enough to clear out the sand and dust that have been in the air for the last few weeks. We had a great service (in doors) and celebrated the resurrection and the hope of Christ's return. Then, after the service I went for a walk to take in the view. It was pretty amazing. There I stood (and it was almost clear) and I could see over the Jordan river - and bits of the sea of Galilee- into Palestine. I stood where Moses once stood, looking into the promise. I was so excited as I thought about Moses' journey and all that entailed and how he spent his last days on this mountain looking at the promise. I thought about how great it was to stand on this mountain of promise on Easter and remember the promise of Christ's return.
I came home, rested and ate sugar! Dr. Pepper tastes so good after no sugar for 40 days :)
Then, I went to a friends house to celebrate with friends. It was a great time hanging out in the fantastic weather chatting and laughing. I had some great conversations and was able to reflect on the hope that we have in the resurrection and Jesus' return- may it come soon!
Then, went to another party for more celebration and then went over to Affreak's to watch a movie...something else I haven't done in 40 days.
I think that this time of lent has been really good as I counted down the days and prepared for Easter. As I read the story of the passion week this week, celebrated good friday and then came to Sun- the day of the resurrection- I was so excited and ready to celebrate that I was disappointed that Jesus didn't come back to join me in my partying! May He come soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry I missed your last call. If you want 2 call us on friday morning that would be cool for us
josh