Wednesday, March 05, 2008

2nd circle

When I first arrived in Amman, the weather was great and people seemed to flood to gathering places in the city to enjoy it. One of these places is 2nd circle. This is a round-about in downtown Amman. In this round-about there are benches and a piece of "art" (it is this huge circle standing on its side). I always thought that it would be cool to be able to go into the circle and sit with the masses. (it is sort of like sitting in the median of a major road- a crazy thought with adventure written all over it!) I never did this before because my Arabic wasn't good enough, and then it was too cold.
Today, I went to Kindergarten and then had a glorious walk down to 2nd circle. I was starving when I arrived, so I went to the now famous (even written up in the New York Times) shawarma joint and got two really good lamb shawarmas and a pepsi (all for 2 bucks!) and then crossed the street so that I was now in the middle of the round-about. I found a bench, started up my ipod and enjoyed the shawarma and the weather. I then pulled out the books because I wasn't ready for my lesson that was less than an hour away. I little girl playing in the patch of grass in front of me greeted me. I began chatting with her and her friends and before I knew it I was meeting the moms. I was able to chat with them and then was invited to coffee with them sometime next week.
It was just as I thought- sitting in the midst of the traffic, eating some great food, chatting in Arabic, making friends- it could not have been any better! A great adventure!

2 comments:

Travis said...

We got our stuff from Al Ain yesterday and I laughed out loud and cried inside as I unpacked my past, literally! I was reminded of how great a sister you are to have been on so much of my life journey with me. I love you and can't wait til we can journey in the ME again together...Ris

Gloria Furman said...

Save a seat in that circle for meeeee!!