Wednesday, January 30, 2008

snow- again- this time for real

Yes, I am sitting here in my warm house staring at the downpour that has continued for the last 17 hours....snow. At 10 this morning we probably had inches- no telling how much we have now. I went out (in my crocs covered with plastic bags, rain coat and gloves) to play with the neighbors. I helped shovel their drive way in a vain attempt to drive a car. We got about half way and realized that we would have to shovel the whole road! I then helped the kids make a snow man. They were just piling snow- I showed them how to roll balls and stack them. Once we had a second layer they were quickly running to get a carrot, sticks and olive leaves for the mouth. I took my scarf off and placed it around his scrawny neck (we were too cold to attempt a big snow man).
I then watched the kids throw snowballs and helped the "grown-ups" in their endeavors to clean off the steps and walk way. Eventually, we were all too cold and needed to get warm. My neighbors invited me (and Roomie who had wandered outside to take pictures) to come in and have coffee.
I was still in my "lounging" clothes (not thinking, I went out in my sweatshirt and fleece pants...I mean, I had water-proof pants and a rain jacket on top!!) so, I was not to keen to go in right away. I told her I was wearing my house clothes under my jacket and she said "My house is your house- no problem!" Gotta love Jordanian hospitality!
So, we went in for a cup of Nescafe and some cookies. It was a great time of arabic practice and we got to finally meet our neighbors! I have been trying to chat with them for the last few months....but I haven't been able to even get a "hello" from the kids. Now I was in their house telling them about my family and laughing with them about my arabic!
it was a great afternoon....now the boredom of being snowed in without a tv (the snow has blown out our reception) has set in. I have nothing left to do but homework :) and of course I am doing everything to avoid that!
i am trying to post some pictures - so check out the pics link on the left to get a glimpse of the "blizzard of 2008" :)

No comments: