Tuesday, January 29, 2008

out-running the curse

I have been trying to figure out why it is that I long for change so often. I think that most people want to "settle in;" they want to find a place and make it theirs, they want to leave their mark on a city, a suburb or neighborhood. I want to make my mark on a neighborhood....but I don't have any desire to "settle in." it seems that when I get to know a place I want to leave. I get this feeling that I need to move on, that things will be better in the next place...that I will have all that I am lacking here if I can just find that place. I will have friends that understand grace, I will have a job that I love waking up for and I will have a place where I can impact the world. But it always seems that when I get into a new place, one that I thought was going to bring some- if not all -of the above hopes and dreams, I quickly find that it is simply a place on this fallen earth (and that I too am far from perfect and still have my struggles and disappointments)
I find myself in that place once again. I have been on this roller coaster for years now (or so it feels). I have been living and moaning in one place and looking forward to the next. But now, I look back and think "Dallas wasn't so bad!" (but when I lived there- I HATED it!) and now I am looking to what is next after Amman and I think, "will I look back and say the same about Amman?"
I don't exactly know how to "cure" this ailment. I think that I am just trying to find a place that is "perfect" and unfortunately that will only happen on the new earth.
I began thinking about this because of a book I was reading. It talked about "incarnational ministry" and how one of the "pre-requisites" for this type of ministry is picking a place to incarnate. J wasn't both a 1st century man and a 20th century woman. He chose a time and place and people to live among and by doing that He chose not to live in other times and places and peoples. I have no idea if that was hard for Him - He knew that the "fullness of time" had come, so maybe it was an easy decision. But I am not so sure that I know exactly where and when and with whom I am supposed to invest my life- and actually, the idea of spending my life in the same city is quite revolting.
I guess I have a lot more learning and changing to do if I am going to live like J in this area.
So in the mean time- I am trying to cultivate a life of gratitude- for life here in Amman, for life with my friends, for life in the Spirit- an attempt to make myself be here, be with this people and these friends- and to not complain about it :O

No comments: