Tuesday, January 08, 2008

life

today has been consumed with details like water, heat and vocabulary. the morning was running around trying to call people to get them to bring us water (giving directions in Arabic and trying to explain that I have 2 bottles that are empty and I want them to bring me two bottles that are full. But where? The directions again. Now what do you want? 2 bottles of water. You will have to buy the bottles. No, I have 2 bottles already. Where do you live? - did I say this was all in Arabic??? And then, after that, was finally explained- a man called back 20 minutes later who spoke english and we had the same conversation again!) And then the heat. We ran out of gas last night, so our space heaters won't work. This means that it is COLD in our house. But we have radiators, so I was trying to figure out how to turn them on. Then, someone came to pick up my room mate and take her to a meeting. I asked her- and then, the whole world got involved. She called like 3 people and then had 2 other people come over....and all we had to do was turn a knob!!!!! Did I mention that all of this was happening when I was supposed to be doing 2 hours of homework and memorize like 30 new vocab words???????
So, then I went to tutoring- and today is a bad arabic day and I couldn't remember anything. I kept getting things wrong- and then, because I couldn't talk, my teacher decided I should read. Have I told you how much I hate reading Arabic???? i am so slow, I feel like a 2 year old and it is VERY frustrating!
So, after all of that, I walked a bit- got too cold and got in a taxi and went to the mall (I needed to exchange some money and there is a bank there that is open all the time). I walked around the warm mall for a while and then came home to the cold house. I called another gas guy to see if he would bring us some bottles, but it is too far for him- but at least we have the radiators (that cost a king's ransom to run!)
Now- after all of that- my "weekend" starts. 2 whole days with no lessons!!!!! I can't wait! I don't have to do any homework tomorrow!!!! Of course, thursday will be a full day of it- but tomorrow I can just sit and watch movies!
Ok- so that is the boring mundane life I am living....water, gas and homework :)
Tonight we are going back to Jafra- that coolest restaurant in town. So that should be fun!

2 comments:

Erin"Green" Gilbert said...

Katy, I love you and i'm sorry you have to go through all that about the heat and tutoring. I am so proud of you and love to read your blogs! don't ever stop writing. I am continuing to pray for you...love green

Anonymous said...

hey katy!
your mom was telling us about all the things you've been trying to get straightened out lately, plus i read your blog. i sure hope you can get your heat straightened out soon. that would be the tuffest thing for me because i cannot stand to be cold.
jennifer went to petersburg, va today with her history class - they went to some civil war thing. i had to have her at the school at 6am - yuk.
jessica DROVE herself and a friend for the very first time to the mall today. she was soooo excited.
then she went to carmen's to watch the kids while carmen and danny went to dinner and bought a new washer and dryer.
brian and i spent most of the day at your mom and dad's playing with all the kids. we had a great time. i'll keep praying that everything falls into place for you.
love ya,
sheri