Thursday, January 31, 2008

almost snowed in

I got out today....walked down to my tutor's house for a day of class. I was glad to get out- but it was nasty. Most of the streets had been cleared- but Amman is not made for snow. They "plowed" the roads, but this completely blocked all the storm drains in the streets. So, they basically made a channel for all the melted snow to puddle in. At times, I was walking in ankle deep ice cold water, at other times, knee deep snow. It was definitely an adventure!
i got to class, but I wasn't in the mood to really apply myself. :) but I had a good class, chatted about my family in topical discussion and then played in the snow with the family. I then met FTP and went to Safeway- which was apparently the only grocery store open in the city because it was really crowded.
Then we came home, I washed clothes and made supper and then I "had" to watch an Arabic Film for class. (I think it was supposed to be funny...but I was just struggling to understand it!)
I have been having fun because FTP has been staying with us - super long story- but she has been snowed in with us....which has made it fun. We have had dinner together for the last 3 nights, and because of the snow, we really don't have any pressing commitments anywhere in the city...so we can just hang out. This has been great. We have had some fun conversations and we have been able to get to know each other better.
i think that I have been forced to slow down (I really wish my pictures would post so you could see how much snow we had! I took pictures again today...eventually the internet will be back up to "speed" - aka everyone will be back at work and busy and it will speed up again. and then, I will be able to post them...so stay tuned!) But the snow has made me slow down. At first it was awful, but now it is growing on me. I am sure I will miss it when it is gone.
I am enjoying the brisk air, the FREEZING feet (how did I get here without any waterproof shoes?) and the change in the city as we all walk everywhere :)

No comments: