Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ramadan

So- it is hard to meet people during Ramadan- which is not good for the language practicing. I was hoping that I would have a few friends before Ramadan started, but because of the move, school, and trying to figure out how to get to my house- it just didn't happen. So, I have settled in to the idea that it will be at least 3 more weeks before I get to have conversations in arabic that I don't pay for (i.e with a tutor.)
That was until the last few days. Yesterday at Safeway (yep, we have out own version of Safeway here!) I was at the cheese counter when a girl walked up to me- in full abaya and hijab- and asked how much my sandwich meat was- in perfect English! Come to find out, she is Palestinian but has grown up in California. She is married and her husband has got a job here in Amman where his family lives. She was excited to meet me- and I was thrilled to have a "local" to chat with.
Then, today- I went to the British Council (a local hang out where they teach English and such). I walked in and saw someone with a drink. I know this means nothing to most of you, but being here in Ramadan you notice food and drink out in the "open" during the day. I wanted to know if we could drink, so I turned to a few girls sitting there and asked if we could drink. This one question turned into a full blown "conversation" and lots of laughter. It was great! I hope to see them again this week!
So, in the span of 2 days I went from 0 friends to practice Arabic with to maybe 6 girls all eager to help me!
What fun!! And all in Ramadan- who would have thought?

No comments: