Saturday, September 08, 2007

Love your enemies

So, I got a good lesson in this today! Remember Steps from yesterday's blog- well, she came up to me after school today and asked if she could come over to my house. I said yes, of course. She rode home with me, had lunch, took a nap and then proceeded to invite other people (I am pretty sure that the only reason she wanted to come over was so that she could invite the guys) and then they all descended on my house. Then, in the serving of ice cream and such- somehow we got on politics....Not really that good of a conversation for people from all different walks of life and not very much experience (if any) in the Middle East. And on top of all of that, most of the people in the room were "pro-war" and aren't too hype on my "peace studies" idea. So, it was not a good conversation (totally out numbered and ambushed in my own house!) I took off and went to church (leaving some of the party members behind at the house until they left for their church).
I loved the church I visited tonight and now feel like I have found my places for worship - both Arabic and English! God is SO gracious that I would be able to settle in this fast....I am thrilled and just cried through most of the service thinking about all that He has done for me in the last few weeks.
Then, I got home to a party brewing- the crowd wanted to return. So, I know that they live in places where they can't have people over, and I live in a place where I can. I also think that at times they don't really want to be with me, as much as just be together - and I am glad that I can serve them. But I wasn't really in the mood to go back and deal with them. I felt like the outcast because of my political views (they all felt the same, and I was the weirdo) But I opened the fridge and got out the left-overs from the party. I fed the 5 of them (again) and then had ice cream (again). It all got a bit too much for me....I had no time today to process my new found "friendship" with Steps...nor the blasting of my views this afternoon....and here I was offering them my house, my food, my ice-cream....my life!!!! I didn't want to serve, I wanted to settle into my chair, blog and watch tv!
I went out on the porch- the cool breeze surrounding me, the stars twinkling in the distance and just talked to Jesus. I told Him that I don't like people who don't think I am wonderful. I told Him that I didn't want to serve anymore- that I wanted to be served and for people to like me. And I told Him that I needed help....lots of it.
Then I walked back into the house and started cleaning up- And, it wasn't that hard. I knew that I was getting a chance to love- even when it wasn't easy. And I knew that I couldn't do it because I "had" too...but because the Spirit was working in me.....
We busted out the cards and played Nertz....and I won (with FTF) and it was fun! Good times were had by all! God's grace showed up again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Living life with those folks must remind you of living life with your bro and sister? YOu always serving and no-one cares? I'm sorry that you can't get away from us but glad that you see love and community in the perspective of the trinity!
Love ya- Josh

Anonymous said...

I agree with Josh. You just keep on serving. I'm encouraged and challenged as you keep finding His grace is enough!

There's nothing wrong with having other plans...especially at your own place!

Love ya bunches!
Dad & Mom