Monday, September 01, 2008

the breadth of God's love

I think that when Paul prayed that the Ephesians would know the breadth, height, depth and length of God's love- I always thought he was talking about God's love for them. But this week I have been learning that the "breadth" of God's love might just mean that I look beyond myself and see that God loves all who trust in His Son- not just me. I am not sure why this has been such a huge lesson to learn- maybe because I like to compare myself to others and see how and why I am more "deserving" of God's love than they. I compare our theology, my lifestyle, how I interpret the culture here, how well I fit in the culture here, how dumb they are for acting like that is THE way things have to be done- etc. etc. etc.
But as I look at the breadth of God's love and how He loves us all not on the basis of our own righteousness or our own merit- I see, how I too can embrace others that might have very different ideas or who are also struggling on this path and hoping in the Gospel.
I read this prayer today "We thank you that in your presence all our brothers (and sisters) are the more surely present with us; for we know them to be included in the breadth of Your love. We give thanks that you have tied us together in this bundle of life and have ordained that none of us should live to himself alone."

No comments: