Friday, May 30, 2008

reflections from a busy week

I had no idea that I would be this busy my last week in country. It seems that everyone is realizing that the long days of studying at a coffee shop and then eating Arabic food, walking around shopping for anything in the Balad, and the laughs and fun as we meet up at each other's houses- all of this will be ending for the summer, and for some of us- forever (or at least the foreseeable future). So, we have been hanging out at every possible moment. Parties have sprung up at least 4 nights this week :) and in addition to all of that we have had to get things ready to go- buy gifts, pack and re-pack my bags (which are in 2 places, so I was packing yet again in the "garage" this time, in a basement storage area - yick! i hope this is not a trend!) And then last minute buys in the Balad, goodbyes to a great family that has taken interest in me, and today- movie and party...tomorrow, church and party and then..the last few days to get everything in order.
It has been a crazy week- but weirdly enough, it has been a week of reflection. This isn't always good. Sometimes as I look back on my year, I compare it to others and get a fake salvation dervied of my own brain. But this week has also been mingled with true reflection. Listening to things that I need to change, repenting and taking steps to fix them.
I also read this book on forgiveness- and there was this line about the church being a place where you "celebrate forgiveness" It was such a beautiful picture to me of how we as a Body are not to be people that act as if we have got it down, understand redemption and now have it totally, never failing in any way. no, we are a community of people who are broken, healing and breaking again- and sometimes breaking other people in the process- and we are to be a place that celebrates forgiveness.

No comments: