Tuesday, February 26, 2008

a new look

there are some really cool things about learning Arabic- one is that my dream of being able to sit in a coffee shop and overhear (and understand) conversations - but another is that I get a new perspective on life. there is so much I could say about this - but I just wanted to write about something I encountered in my homework tonight.
I am translating John 1 from classical Arabic into spoken Arabic (yep, from Arabic to Arabic...I know you are dying to join me in this task!) Anyway, I got to the verse where John says "behold the Lamb of God" (that is the English version) In Arabic it says "behold the carried one" Well, that is, the classical Arabic word for "lamb" is the same word as "carried one." What an amazing picture - The lamb of God...not this cute furry thing walking beside the shepherd. No, it is the picture of the favorite lamb, carried on the shoulders, protected and cared for like none other. This is the Lamb that takes the sins of the world. This is the Lamb that lays down His life; this is the Lamb that is sacrificed.

No comments: