Monday, November 12, 2007

space for beauty

Today was a really busy day. I went to school, then went to the BC to study and chat with friends. After an hour of studying and an hour and a half of Arabic I was ready to go! So, I took off to meet another friend so we could plan the review for our class (we are in charge of the whole day of class in a few days). We went to this really cool restaurant in the balad- it was really cool with old stairs and cool lanterns and the best hummus and kifta around!
Anyway, I studied there for 2 more hours and then I was ready to go home and sleep. But my friend (the dutch boy) asked me to go to a free concert with him and this other girl. I didn't want to go, I was tired and hadn't been home since 7:45 am....but I said "I don't want to go, but I should make some space for beauty in my life this week....so ok!"
We got there, waited in line- and then were treated to a free concert by the Chicago Trio and friends. It was fantastic. They played "fun" music that made us laugh and they played other music that was so complicated it almost hurt to listen to it.
After the hour was up, even though I was tired, I felt that in some way that my life was bigger. It is funny how beauty can do that - especially beautiful music. It is the stilling of your body, the focusing of your ears, your mind and your emotions to listen, feel and see the intricacies of the music. It is like for an hour, you move in slow motion while your soul breathes.
It was wonderful!!!! I am so glad that I made some space in my life today.

No comments: